Gary Gygax

Tzuul

Gary Gygax

Post by Tzuul »

D&D Creator Dies at age 69

I started playing D&D back in the late 70's/early 80's. Pretty much played it heavily through high school and into college.
Tor: Shamino Sworddancer
SoF-V: Torrencian Archon
Marillion Bloodbane

Post by Marillion Bloodbane »

Wow, RIP Gary. Sad that he died relatively early.
IGN: Marillion Bloodbane
skye

Post by skye »

playing with like... your own dice and stuff and paper sounds...really...really...boring.
Kaitrin
Site Admin

Post by Kaitrin »

Playing with dice and paper does sound boring to me, too. Good thing the D&D system Gygax designed depended so much on imagination, interaction between people, story-telling, and interesting fun stuff like that!
Guild Leader of The Torrencians
skye

Post by skye »

luckily i got gw to imagine stuff for me!(?)
Marillion Bloodbane

Post by Marillion Bloodbane »

Here's another comparison, the difference between reading a book and watching a movie about a book...watching the movie may be the easy way to do it and requires no imagination and you see what the creator of the movie themself imagined and wanted you to see. Also, they are limited in what they can show you due to budgetary constraints. Reading the book is infinitely more rewarding, your imagination can help you see things that are far more fantastic and vivid than any movie can show you.

Similarly the events that you can encounter in a D&D session played on paper in person with your friends can't be compared to any video game. The only limit is your imagination.

Gary Gygax was a visionary and a genius. There aren't too many people like him in this world, especially nowadays I can tell you...
IGN: Marillion Bloodbane
skye

Post by skye »

imagining...sounds like-work